Thursday, September 19, 2013

Papertrey Ink Make it Monday #132 Layered Border Die Cuts

Hello everyone, happy Thursday! Hope you are all having a fabulous week so far! I am enjoying a wonderful, quiet day off at home! It has been yet another crazy, busy week, so I decided to spend a few hours relaxing in my craft room this morning before I run off to do a few errands. This week over on Nichole's blog Dawn McVey (she is amazing, I can browse her website for hours!) has challenged us to create a project using Layered Bordered Die Cuts for Papertrey Ink's Make it Monday #132.

I am so far behind on my Holiday crafting! I haven't started any Halloween projects yet, and I am dying to get into making Christmas cards already! I just can't seem to find the time! For this challenge, I really wanted to use the Papertrey Ink Nuts for You stamp set again and make a fall-themed card. This card took me forever to make because I do not own any border dies from PTI, so I had to figure out another way to create a layered border using die cuts. I used one of the circle dies from the 1­­ 3/4" circle die set, cut out 4 different fall colors, and then cut those in half.


I layered them all together at the bottom of my Kraft cardstock base, then added a strip of Kraft cardstock with some brown/white twine. I stamped the background with the leaf and acorn image from the stamp set using Stampin' Up's Crumb Cake ink. I used Papertrey Ink's Mat Stack #5 die along with the matching stamp from the Tiny Treats: Birthday stamp set. I die-cut and colored my squirrel using Prismacolor markers in Walnut, Dark Brown, Sienna Brown, and Ballet Pink. Last, I added the "happy fall" sentiment using the PTI banner die.





I am really happy with the way this card turned out, I just love it. The only thing I might change on the card is the colors of my little Squirrel. I think I should have colored him a little lighter to make him stand out a bit more against the Kraft cardstock base. I hope you all enjoy the rest of your day, thanks so much for stopping by!

2 comments:

Helen F. said...

How fun is this 'leaf-layered border', Alex! Love the clever way you met the challenge :) Cute little squirrel welcoming in the Fall

Marcia Hill said...

I LOVE how you did your border...it looks fantastic! Really, really nice card! :0)