Friday, September 27, 2013

Make it Monday #133 Creating a Flocked Look with Dimensional Paste

Good afternoon fellow crafters, HAPPY FRIDAY! I am so happy it is Friday, I am beyond ready for the weekend! It has been a crazy, stressful week. I am ready for a quiet, peaceful, hopefully relaxing Saturday tomorrow! I do have to work today, but I wanted to share with you my cards for Papertrey Ink's Make it Monday Challenge #133.

Danielle Flanders is showing us how to use dimensional paste to create a flocked look. When I first saw the challenge, I for sure thought I wasn't going to be able to participate because I do not have any kind of "dimensional paste" whatsoever. I did browse the craft section at Wal-mart earlier this week during a grocery trip, but was unable to find anything that I might be able to use. While I was browsing other crafters projects, I saw that Cornelia actually MADE her own dimensional paste! BRILLIANT! I was so happy she shared this because I wanted to participate in the challenge!

I made my "paste" with flour also, but I didn't use any measurements, I just eyeballed everything. I used about 2 tablespoons or so of flour, then I mixed in some Mod Podge. It wasn't really mixing too well so I added some warm water until it started to form a paste. Last, I added some GLITTER! I used Inkadinkado's Turquoise Glitter powder and mixed it all together. I only have 2 Papertrey Ink Cover plates: The Hexagon Die and the Harlequin Die cover plates. I started off with the Harlequin cover plate, and was so happy with the results, that I decided to repeat the process with the Hexagon die as well.

Everything looked great once I removed the cover plate "stencil", the paste was nice and thick and had a great dimension to it. Once it dried however, the dimension went down a little :( I was really looking forward to the design of the cover plates popping on the cards, but nonetheless, I am extremely happy with the way these 2 cards came out. I love them both! I used the Papertrey Ink Santa Stationary Stamp Set for my Santa, as well as Hero Arts Joy to All Stamp set for the Sentiment. The glitter paper is also from Stampin' Up. The inside of the cards read "May all your Holiday Wishes Come True".

Even if I don't use this technique in the future, it was really fun to try. I can say that I will probably make some more cards with this design using the coordinating Hexagon and Harlequin stamp sets. Thank you for stopping by, I hope you all have a great weekend!


Danielle said...

I think these turned out adorable, and I really like the cut out for the Santa! I forgot about that stamp set! Thanks for playing in the challenge! :)

DIANA L. said...

Great card the stamped Santa is super and your homemade dimensional paste is a great idea- Have a great day

LEG Studios said...

Love your cards - they turned out just perfect!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, fabulous job with the technique, Alex!